I must be sleep-surfing the net right now because I cant believe my eyes. Since my biological clock in completely out of whack I am wide awake at this ungodly hour (4:45 am)and decided to catch up on email.
I subscribe to a DC events email called “The List, Are You on It” that sends out weekly news of cool things to do, taste, and try in and around the DC-Metro Area. I love getting The List, Are You on It because its very comprehensive and often has some specials for subscribers.
Today I receive the special inauguration weekend edition and I can’t even believe my eyes as to some of the local offerings by the hospitality industry. Particularly coming off a trip where I lived and worked alongside the poorest of the poor, those who literally live on 2 US dollars per day (and have an average of 7 kids per family) I cant wrap my mind around some of these opportunities to appropriate the benjamins.
Take a gander at how the Rich and Famous can roll for the upcoming long weekend:
The Liaison Capitol Hill – For travelers seeking to be part of history during the Inauguration of the next president, The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel, is offering the ultimate Inauguration package. The closest hotel to the U.S. Capitol, The Liaison puts guests at the heart of the activity surrounding the presidential Inauguration with a four-night package, priced at $6,729, double occupancy, to experience Washington like a true “insider.”
The Liaison’s ultimate Inauguration Package includes:
- Acommodations for two for four nights (arriving January 17; departing January 21)
- Four hours with personal shopper Wendy Pilch from Spendella, one of DC’s hottest stylists, to guarantee a first-class shopping experience while searching for the perfect glamour wear
- Four hours one evening with a private paparazzo, Moshe Zusman, for an “on-the-record” keepsake
- Limo service each evening
- Choice of two luxurious, in-room SPAffinia treatments
- A relaxing recovery breakfast in bed for two each morning
- A swearing-in survival kit which includes a Burberry scarf and ear muffs for two, two pairs of binoculars, two umbrellas, gourmet hot chocolate to-go, and
- all-American culinary delights to-go courtesy of Art and Soul, DC’s newest dining hot spot, to enjoy during the ceremony or inaugural parade. (415 New Jersey Avenue NW, 202.638.1616
The Renaissance Mayflower Hotel in Washington, D.C..- The grand dame of downtown hotels, the Mayflower hosted its first Inaugural Ball, honoring Calvin Coolidge, on March 4, 1925. Since Coolidge’s time, The Renaissance Mayflower Hotel has been the home of many historic meals from inaugural celebrations to state dinners. The hotel remains dubbed “DC’s ‘Second Best Address,” since President Harry Truman first coined that phrase way back when.
In honor of the election year and the impending inauguration of the next President of the United States, from December 5 through January 23, Café Promenade at The Renaissance Mayflower Hotel offers a four-course menu of dishes designed for past leaders of the Free World–offering guests an opportunity to dine as the presidents. The first course is from Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s meal–classic shrimp cocktail–jumbo shrimp poached in seafood court bouillon, served chilled over cracked ice with fresh horseradish cocktail sauce. U.S. Senate bean soup from the administration of Herbert Hoover follows. The entrée from the administration of George H.W. Bush, is the very special 80th Anniversary, Café Promenade signature Maryland crabcakes, sautéed jumbo lump crab served with asparagus, waffle potatoes and lobster citrus sauce. Dessert is a nod to Lyndon Baines Johnson–gateau diplomate–a creamy combo of sponge cake, fruit and custard. The Presidential dinner is priced at $41 per person plus tax and gratuity. But wait…there’s more! The Mayflower’s Ultimate Presidential Package also is available, including: For a cool $51,000 complete (sounds downright affordable, by comparison!)–the Presidential Package is a one of a kind life experience.
For those looking for just a little less fanfare but a top notch inaugural stay, the hotel offers an Inaugural Suite package which includes accommodations in a luxury suite with access to the exclusive Mayflower Club level. Each night of their stay, guests will receive a different commemorative inaugural gift at turndown. The Inaugural Suite package is priced at $1,500 per night with a minimum three-night stay. (1127 Connecticut Ave., NW; 202.347.3000)
- A three-night stay in the hotel’s luxurious Presidential or Mayflower Suite, complete with limo service to and from point of arrival and departure
- His and hers signature Inaugural jewelry from Tiny Jewelry Box;
- Dom Perignon Champagne with Baccarat toasting flutes from Tiffany & Co.
in-room massage for two; 24 hour butler service; a custom designed inaugural cocktail by legendary bartender Sambonn Lek of the hotel’s destination
- Town & Country bar
- Inaugural petit fors specially designed by the hotel’s pastry team
- His and hers Inaugural garb from Burberry to keep special guests warm during the inaugural ceremony.
The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, DC — Regardless of the new president’s party affiliation, Inauguration 2009 promises to be like no other. Those looking to be at the epicenter of the festivities are invited to celebrate this historic change and the new administration with the economically-minded (not!), $50,000 Politically Correct Package at The Ritz-Carlton, Washington, D.C. The socially conscious, four-night Inauguration celebration includes a one-of-a-kind jewelry piece from Judith Ripka commissioned by Saks Fifth Avenue in honor of Inauguration 2009. The Heart of the Nation pendant she created exclusively for this package is a unique piece which will be created in 18k white gold, white diamonds (.212 cttw), rubies (4.75 ctttw) and blue sapphires (.40 cttw), and will be placed on a white twisted silk cord with a signature, Judith Ripka heart clasp. The retail price of the pendant is $8,000. (1150 22nd Street, NW; 202.263.6338)
Other services and amenities in the package include:
- 24-hour on-call chauffeur in a luxury hybrid vehicle
- Four-night stay in a luxury suite
- Saks Fifth Avenue Chevy Chase will expertly outfit you head-to-toe for your Inaugural ball including, an afternoon of unforgettable styling in the Fifth Avenue Club with a Saks Fifth Avenue fashion director and walk away outfitted in a designer dress and luxury tuxedo courtesy of the store
- Help from the Saks Fifth Avenue fashion concierge throughout your stay to service any and all fashion needs
- Seating for two at the Inaugural Parade
- Two tickets to one of the official Inaugural Balls
- Private dinner for two in guest’s luxury suite or in Westend Bistro by Eric Ripert, with dinner specially prepared by Chef Ripert
- Eco-friendly, in-room products, including an Inauguration 2009 Survival Kit
- Portion of the proceeds will go to benefit a charity of the guest’s choice
Or for those of you who have money burning a whole in your pocket: A REAL Inaugural Experience to Remember at the Ritz-Carlton Tysons for $75,000. Designed for up to six guests, this five day, four night package includes fine dining, luxury shopping, and spa treatments as well as six tickets to a special Inaugural Ball being held at the hotel the evening of January 20, 2009. A portion of the proceeds of this package will be donated to a charity of the guests’ choice to impact the community in a unique and positive way and to continue the efforts of Community Footprints. Highlights include:
- Four nights in the Presidential Suite and two additional deluxe guestrooms located on the
exclusive club level.
- Welcome amenity of designer diamond earrings or signature patriotic cufflinks per couple courtesy of Saks Fifth Avenue
- Sunday Brunch for entire party and breakfast will be included every other morning in: Club lounge, In-room dining or The Steak House
- Tailgate Football Lounge catered in the Presidential Suite for the Sunday playoffs including 50 inch plasma screen TV and tailgate food and beverage selections
- Private Spa Journey’s for him/her at The Day Spa at The Ritz-Carlton, Tysons Corner.
- Private high end wine tasting dinner hosted by Vincent Feraud, Sommelier and Wine Director, prepared by Maitre Cuisinier de France, Gael Cruchet
- Saks Fifth Avenue Salon, Spa and Champagne Lunch followed by makeovers and a high end red carpet photo shoot with your choice of photo matted and framed to take home. (1700 Tysons Boulevard, McLean; 703.506.4300)
Mandarin Oriental‘s $200,900 Package (That’s right we said $200,900) – Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C. presents the paramount travel package, “Presidential Privilege”, designed for one couple to celebrate the 2009 Inauguration in unsurpassed (and expensive!) style. This is a $200,900, once-in-a-lifetime experience, available exclusively from January 17 to January 21, 2009.
The incredible “Presidential Privilege” package includes:
- The power couple will be outfitted from head to toe for the Inaugural Balls by Ralph Lauren.
- Five days, four nights in the lavish Presidential Suite at Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C., offering unsurpassed views of the city’s major monuments
- A chauffer-driven, 2009 Maserati Quattroporte throughout the entire stay, with a backseat hamper of exotic snacks and chilled champagne daily
- A private, five-course dinner party and wine pairing for eight guests in CityZen specially prepared by Chef Eric Ziebold and sommelier Andrew Myers
- Vintage Veuve Clicquot Champagne and American caviar for two, served daily at dusk in the Presidential Suite’s living room with a back drop of dramatic sunsets over the Jefferson Memorial, Tidal Basin and Washington Monument
- Presidential Suite’s refrigerator and pantry to be filled with the couple’s favorite foods and snacks
- Daily, two-hour Time Ritual spa treatments for two in the tranquil Spa at Mandarin Oriental. Manicure and pedicure services also included
- Tickets to an Inaugural event
- “His and her” Inaugural Ball fashions and accessories from Ralph Lauren
- Daily breakfast in bed
- 24-hour personal butler service
- Ten, overnight weekend stays in a water view premier sleeping room to use throughout the year at Mandarin Oriental, Washington D.C.
- Two-hour Time Ritual spa treatments also included for each day
- An assortment of Washington, D.C. based collectibles
- Monogrammed plush robes with party affiliation
- Nightly turndown keepsakes
- A $10,000.00 Donation in the name of the guest that purchases the package to the favorite charity of the new First Lady of the United States of America
Uh-oh…here’s the catch: The rate does not include tax or gratuity and is commissionable on the room portion only. Rats! Better check the spare change can! (202.554.8588)
For a complete listing of posh events, visit The List, Are You On It website. I can guarantee a 4 course tasting menu for $44 at most of your favorite local hot spots, complete with Bamatinis, Bamaritas, and good soo good it will make you slap yo bamamamma
One Comment Add yours